23 July 2005

Poem from the Past

Thinking on the previous entry, I reflected how the poem attributed to Martin Niemöller is apt, if slightly revised:

They attacked the Iraqis civilians, and I

didn't object - For I wasn't an Iraqi civilian;

They attacked the Iraqis aidworkers, and I

didn't object - For I wasn't an Iraqi aidworker;

They attacked Gays, and I

didn't object - For I wasn't Gay;

They attacked women, and I

didn't object - For I wasn't a woman;

They attacked London, I finally objected and

I realised - they must be stopped and how

wrong I was before to ignore all of the warnings signs;

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To whom does "they" apply in your reworking? Unlike in Neimoller's poem, there's no single organisation attacking Iraqi civilians, aid workers, gays, women and the Underground, nor any particular thematic connection between the attacks.